Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Conference Call

Today I had my 1st conference call with my new peer group. I thought the call went fairly well and you can tell the leader is trying to be very positive and up beat. The challenge with this form of communication is that people sometime multitask and are not paying full attention to the topics at hand.

The other area of concern that I had is the call did not have a very good flow to it an seemed to jump from one topic to the next. In a meeting environment it is better to have short quick hit meetings than long drawn out meetings. Although there are times when these are necessary they should be limited as they strain the group and lack productivity. This particular call was the 1st meeting for most of us and there was very little interaction. This is to be expected since there is a lack of trust amongst the group. People are beginning to find out who they will partner with, who they can call for questions, and who they can vent to.

My tip for performing conference calls is keep them short, 30 minutes or less. Keep the topics short and to the point, conversations with a group on the phone need to be quick and to the point as you will lose participation. Engage people and ask questions directly to people keep them on task this will keep people on their toes and engaged.

1 comment:

George Rousos said...

Good post. I agree it is important to keep the participants involved - I thinks it's also important to provide the participants with an agenda of what will be covered during the conference call.