Monday, January 22, 2007

Leadership Development

Today I was able to sit down with some of my new team and really get to know them on a personal and professional level. As I sat down with the leader in the office I began to ask her what she felt her strengths and developmental opportunities might be. As I mentioned this to her, her face changed as if she had just seen a ghost. I then went on to say it is important for a leader to know what they are strong at but more importantly what they need to improve on.

To break the tension I took the lead and gave her my strengths and more importantly developmental opportunities. I explained I had a recent leader that once told me if you have more strengths and developmental opportunities than that is your 1st developmental opportunity. After I took the lead she really opened up and began to tell me what she felt she was going to have to work on in the future.

Although this seems like a small step it is actually a large step when beginning the development of a leader. The conversation went very well and was evident this was the first time she had ever had a conversation about leadership. This is mainly because her results have been outstanding. In some cases managers forget that individual results do not always translate into outstanding leadership. I explained the importance of feedback and how communication is a two way street it is going to take great communication to become a great leader. I explained the importance of how bringing ideas to the table will be instrumental in the growth of our business. I am excited for the upcoming challenge my success will be measured by her success as a leader.

No comments: