Monday, June 4, 2007

Feedback is a Gift

Recently I encountered a situation in which I was forced to have a firm conversation about how the perception of a relationship might be impacting others. The response I received was less than profound and basically refused change the given perception.

As leaders we have to the ability to impact people in both a positive and negative way each and every day. Sometimes the only way we can truly become leaders is to listen rather than talk. A true leader will often go search for feedback, create change teams, and instill excitement amongst all members of the organization. However a poor leader looks for people to blame, hates change and cannot create excitement regardless of the task.

I remember back on my career, early on I would not listen to any feedback regardless of how relevant the information might have been. I certainly would not take feedback from anyone who was not on the same page as me and if I did not like the idea I would shut it down. This was shallow and egocentric approach to leadership. Some how during this process I was able to build relationships but the long term growth of my team was certainly limited. My challenge to every leader is to go ask for feedback, create excitement and have fun. If you are not looking to change the way you are or the position you are in you are likely going to be changed yourself.

No comments: