Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Nobility of Humility

Ever since I began my professional career one phrase comes to mind, "Whats Next?" I am an extremely driven person that does like to settle and is constantly looking to improve upon my current situation. Although I have these feelings I think it is important to understand that everyone else might not. Today I met up with an old high school peer and completed a working capital line of credit for them. This made me think about the Nobility of Humility which I have titled this posting.

While growing up I would say we were middle class at best. I went to a modest high school with family values and a community that was bound together. As I began my life, I went to college then became a professional and began to move up the corporate ladder. However, some of my former peers chose a different path. Some of them have decided to buy property in that same small town, and even own businesses there today. As I began to think today, the question I asked is why? These people are noble they are assets to our economy and for all intents and purposes they enjoy what they do. However why have they not taken the chance to grow in a different area? This is where the fact of humility comes into place as they are humble and are happy with where they are today.

In leadership we are all striving for happiness and success. Both of which are measured differently by each person. As a leader it is important to know this about your team as they are not likely to change. However if they are not happy, regardless of money, vacation, promotions or benefits they might not be willing to stay. I strongly feel people want to be happy and successful, as a leader the key is finding out how your team quantifies these measurements. However a good leader will use these gently and caustiously as these are the most emotional ties for an employee. A poor leader will use these as their only form of motivation this will ultimately result in lack of respect and broken trust.

No comments: