Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Reference

I recently had a call from a former employee that was looking to use me as a reference. This was a person who I worked with about 4 years ago. I value these relationships and since I have been displaced in my career I will do whatever I can to help out another person during this challenging time.

To give some background about this person I took over an office that was struggling with performance about 4 years ago. The former manager did not give any time, guidance, or leadership and this individual was craving for a new approach. As I met with him I noticed immediately his analytical ability and strength when it came to numbers was outstanding. However his opportunities were very defined and in a sales role he was not going to be successful long term. This led to a tough conversation with him and intern I was able to find him a new role within the organization. After about 2 years we each decided to go our separate ways and about 12 months ago I received a phone call asking to write a letter of recommendation for him for law school. He was accepted but after long thought he has decided to go back into business.

After talking to him today I asked him some very specific questions about what he wanted out of his career if he wanted to be in sales or operations. Immediately he began to try to balance his answer not wanting to trap himself into a corner. I explained to him this is not about making me happy it is about making himself happy. In life we are all going to be faced with situations that we are going to have to make tough decisions. When it comes to your career you have to make a decision that is going to make you happy long term. In this situation we have uncovered his real passion is in the operational side of the business. This is where he should focus his search and I explained I have already began passing his name along to some peers.

I guess the key to this posting is to not burn the bridge no matter how long or how short that bridge might be. In life we need people who we can count on, people who we trust will be there during the tough times. If you are the one that people can count on than during these times than you are a LEADER.

No comments: