Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Relationships

In a recent study performed by our MBA program we were responsible for reviewing different cultures. In this analysis we were looking for common themes, like eating habits, work hours, management styles, etc. Although across the board these were very different there was one common them that had direct correlation.

Ability to take your time and build a relationship was apparent. In every culture people wanted to deal with people that they liked and who they trusted. This does not mean that you have to be the life of the party but you certainly need to be in attendance. So many times in business and leadership we forget about this factor and how truly important these relationships are. As a leader you have to be willing to adapt and mold to different circumstances and some of these are going to be tough to adjust to. I am by no mean saying you should change your core values however I am saying you should attempt to try things you might not be willing to accept as normal.

I remember being in Mexico recently and the clubhouse asking if I would like to play golf with someone who I did not know. 10 years ago I would have refused the offer and it is unlikely I would have even thought about playing golf by myself. In this situation I took them up on the offer and was able to play golf with some local citizens. Although we did not speak due to language differences the rules were the same and we could acknowledge each other after a successful hole.

Build relationships and try something new and you will break barriers you did not even know existed.

No comments: